Wednesday, August 11, 2004

looking back, moving on!!

do you remember?
just last year, we were up to our necks with campbell biology, step-by-step solutions to physics tys, and our thick glossy, binded collection of prelim papers. and we were all (almost) using the same particular type of black ballpoint pen, camping in the library and furiously photocopying all the extra notes we could get our hands on.
just last year around this time, we descended into prelims-cum-A level hell.
goodness, what i'd give not to go through this ordeal again..

looking ahead now,
all along i'd expected myself to stay in singapore if i didn't get a scholarship, but the way things are turning out, i'm actually going along with the things i never thought i'd do.. so i guess trying to plan your life in advance is just plain futile, because it';s virtually impossible to adhere to it..
the prospect of going overseas by myself seems so challenging, exciting and yet, daunting. i can't wait to experience a new life, new cultures, new food, new everything-- but at the same time i've grown so attached to the old things at home, and it's going to be so hard to tear myself away for five years..
perhaps i've been taking everything i have here for granted.
at home i have my dad to fetch me around and buy food for me, my mom to see to my allowances, my brothers to talk nonsense with.. singapore is also the city of cheap transport, shopping and food.. not to mention the reasonably low crime rates..
over there, i'll have to cook for myself(gulp!), and have to settle my accommodation, banking etc etc by myself, i'll have no one to fuss over me when i fall ill.. and even though people say melb's really nice, i guess i'll still be subjected to some racism.. and i hope i can walk home after midnight and still be in one piece..
well, i guess everyone's gotta start from scratch at some point in their lives.
still, i'm quite grateful to be able to get out of singapore for a while, and be able to see what the world is like..




0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home